Designed and manufactured by T.A.S. since 1988, Gazex is the best remote avalanche control system ever developed.
The way it works
Gazex explodes an oxygen/propane gas mixture in specifically designed exploder tubes located at the top end of risk zones. The exploders are connected to gas storage tanks with capacities high enough to operate for the whole season without re-filling.
When the gas mixture explodes, the force of the explosion is directed towards the snow, producing three effects:
- a direct push into snow under the open end of the exploder.
- a shock wave that produces an overpressure and then a negative pressure that lifts up the snow.
- an indirect sympathetic effect on the adjacent snow mantle.
Depending on the volume of the exploder and the configuration of the site, overpressure waves of up to 25 mb go from 30 to 90 m radius. (approximately 100 to 300 feet).
Unique Gazex benefits
- Very short activation time: 2 to 3 minutes per exploder.
- Release in all climatic conditions.
- Optimal safety for personnel: no explosives to handle and no personnel interventions in or near danger zones.
- Progressive investment. One shelter can operate up to 10 exploders. This means the corridors on a given site can be equipped progressively over the years.
- Low cost/explosion: from 6 to 20 € per shot depending on the exploder volume (gas supply and installation).
- Very easy to use.
Gazex equipment complies with European directive 97/23/CE for pressurized equipment and NF standard P 95-310 for artificial release.